Friday, October 23, 2009

Why didn't I realize it sooner?

We've all been fighting some cold/sinus thing. O just finished the last dose of her Rx and is sleeping straight through the night again. But, poor A. This whole week she has been waking up and calling for me at least 3x per night. Once I get to her bedside she has just been asking me to help find her blankee or bunny/mouse/lambie/whatever. I've been assuming that she's been sleeping lightly because she has been stuffed up. Until this afternoon when she casually mentioned her neck or maybe her ear was sore. I looked at the clock and it was 3:50pm. I quickly called the Pediatrician's office and they had one last spot at 4:10pm available. I reached my sister (who just happened to be driving down the road one street away!) to watch O and buckled A into her car seat.
As soon as my sister arrived, A & I headed out. She was talking away in the back seat when I asked her, "Does your ear really hurt right now?" She kind of looked at me with this little smile on her face that told me I most likely was worried about nothing. By that time we were already at the Dr's. office so in we went with my explanation to the Dr. ("I'm not sure if she just said it to be like her sister, or because it really hurts."). The wonderful Dr. quietly examined my babe and then said with a smile, "They really seem to do everything together. She's got a double ear infection, too!"

So, here I am feeling guilty for not figuring it out sooner. I've had several surgeries on my left ear and I know that the pain is brutal. Perhaps it was just starting to hurt? Perhaps they are a lot tougher than I am? Regardless, I'm thankful we could get in to the Dr's. office today and we have an Rx to fix what's wrong. Hopefully my A will soon be well and we'll get back to getting a good night's rest.

South Africa 2005: I wonder if these guys get ear infections?

No comments: