Sunday, August 9, 2009

Thrills found elsewhere!

I'm one of those people who like to have the dishes done, toys picked up and each room tidied before going to bed. I also like to have some vague plan for the next day. So last night I looked at the calendar, realised August is well under way and decided we had better go blueberry picking today before all of the berries are gone. I fell asleep with visions of enough blueberries to carry us through next July and humming Blueberry Hill.

Unfortunately Mother Nature had other plans. It was hot and humid as I hurried everyone to get ready early this morning, with plans to get out of the house by 8:30 for the 45 minute drive to a wonderful farm that specializes in blueberries and Christmas trees! At the last minute I thought to call the farm to be sure of their business hours and got a recording stating they would be closed in the morning because of thunderstorms and to check back at noon to see if the weather had cleared. Ugh! Not the message I wanted to relay to two kiddos psyched to eat pick blueberries.

As if on cue the telephone rang. It was my sister Nancy who lives three blocks away. I told her my dilemma and she said, "I've got blueberries. Come over. I've got an idea!" Five minutes later we were in her kitchen and she was handing A&O mesh strainers and explaining that they were going to go on a blueberry hunt in her house. My sister and brother-in-law had hidden fourteen small cups of berries throughout the first floor of their house and the hunt was on! Five minutes later we had two very happy girls eating many blueberries (and leftover wedding cake from a wedding last night!). Thank you Nan & Dan!

We'll hopefully be going blueberry picking sometime this week. My mouth is watering thinking about blueberry muffins! What is your favorite thing to do with blueberries?

1 comment:

Tara Petty said...

I'm so glad it worked out in the end. What a creative sister you have!

What day are you going? Maybe we could join you- it would be nice to see you guys again.